Frequently Asked Questions

Please take a look at our list of commonly asked questions below. If your question does not appear on this list, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Proof of identification

To be used for the Statutory Declaration, identification must meet the following criteria: it must be government-issued, valid (not expired), and must contain a photo of you. The identification must have an ID number, and either an expiry date, or an issue date (within the last 5 years).
To prove your identity for your application for a birth, marriage, or death certificate, you must take the Statutory Declaration, along with your photo ID, to a Notary or Commissioner of Oaths. The Statutory Declaration must be filled out correctly and notarized in order to be accepted. Ensure that the Notary or Commissioner of Oaths who notarizes your Statutory Declaration includes their signature, printed name, stamp or seal (if they have one), and the expiry date of their commission. Any changes made to your Statutory Declaration (crossed or whited out information, or information added later in a different colour pen) must be initialled by the Notary or Commissioner of Oaths who notarized your form. You would then send the completed Statutory Declaration (instead of a copy of your ID), along with your application form and payment information.
Applicants who do not have valid ID to take to a Notary or Commission of Oaths can have a Designated Agent apply on their behalf. To authorize a Designated Agent, you must fill out the "Applicant's Consent to Designated Agent" form at the bottom of the Statutory Declaration, and then have the Designated Agent take their own ID to the Notary or Commissioner of Oaths to fill in the Statutory Declaration. The Designated Agent becomes the Applicant on the top of the form (page 6). Please note that a Designated Agent must have known the person they are assisting for at least one year.
In order to apply for a document on behalf of an eligible applicant, a lawyer must provide, in addition to the Application, Statutory Declaration and Payment pages, a letter, on letterhead, stating the name of their client, how their client is related to the document being requested, and the type of document being requested. The letter must be signed by the lawyer in ink. As well, the lawyer must provide a photocopy of their Law Society Card.
In certain cases, caseworkers (such as social workers or corrections caseworkers) can apply as a Designated Agent for a client, even if they have not known the client for at least one year. This exception requires permission from Alberta Vital Statistics, in the form of a letter to be sent with the application. If you think this exception applies to your situation, please have the caseworker contact Alberta Vital Statistics directly (780-427-7013) for assistance.
If the Corrections ID has a photo of you, an expiry date (that has not expired), and an ID number, it should be acceptable ID for the Statutory Declaration.

Filling out the application form

The choice is up to the applicant, and Registry Connect staff members are not authorized to make that decision for you. If you require the certificate for an official purpose, please consult with the authorities you are dealing with to determine which document would best suit your needs.
Legal name changes and legal adoptions result in permanent changes to your original birth record. Please fill out the Applicant and Birth sections of the form with your new legal information. Also, if possible, please notify Registry Connect if you have had a legal name change or if you were adopted, and provide the date and place the name change/adoption took place.
If you provide at least the year that the birth, marriage or death took place we can process the application. Please be advised that the certificate fee is applied for every three years searched (or portion thereof).
Applications with no spaces left blank are processed much faster, and Registry Connect reserves the right to refuse and return incomplete applications. However, if you are unable to provide one or two pieces of information, we may be able to submit your request to be processed at the discretion of Vital Statistics. For any information you cannot provide, please provide a detailed written explanation why.
We accept payment online by Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard, Debit Mastercard, or Discover, or payment by certified cheque (not personal cheque) or money order. We do not accept American Express, Interac Online, or e-transfer payments. Prepaid Visa and Mastercard credit cards are accepted, but please make sure you have sufficient funds available to complete the transaction.

Eligibility and services

Registry Connect cannot process applications from clients who are in the province of Alberta. In order for Registry Connect to be able to process an application, the client's address must be a non-Alberta address. Certificates can be delivered to an Alberta address if that is required (clients must provide a cover letter explaining this, along with the complete delivery address). For clients who do not have a non-Alberta address, you must apply in person at an Alberta Registry Agent.
No, Registry Connect cannot process legal name changes. To change your name, you must apply to the Vital Statistics office in the province or country where you are currently living.
No, to make any changes to an Alberta birth record, you must contact Alberta Vital Statistics directly, at 780-427-7013.
Once a legal adoption has occurred, the birth record of the child is permanently changed. It is no longer possible to receive a birth certificate or photocopy of birth registration from Alberta Vital Statistics with your original birth information. Clients wishing to access original pre-adoption information can contact Alberta Vital Statistics (780-427-7013).
No, Alberta Vital Statistics does not have a registry of divorces. To obtain your record of divorce, please contact the lawyer you worked with at the time of the divorce, or the courthouse in the city or town in which the divorce was granted. If you are unsure of where in Canada the divorce took place, please contact the Central Divorce Registry, at 613-957-4519.
If you do not have legal guardianship of a child, you are not considered eligible to apply for that child's document. If the child's parent or legal guardian is available, they should apply (proof of guardianship must be provided if the applicant is the child's legal guardian), or authorize a Designated Agent to apply on their behalf (this can be you, if you've known the applicant for at least one year). If there is no legal guardian, you may apply for the document if you provide a copy of a court order, authorizing you to make the application. If you are unsure of your eligibility, please contact Alberta Vital Statistics at 780-427-7013.